Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions


Question Answer
1.  Why should I become a Section 8 Landlord?

1.  Reliability of rent payment.  The subsidy is paid directly by the government (direct deposit), so you don't have to worry about 70% of the rent being paid even if the tenant falls on hard times.

2.  There is a very low vacancy rate due to high demand.

3. Your property is advertised within the program, so you don't need to do as much to fill any openings.

4. The tenants have already gone through financial and criminal background checks, and have already been approved by the PHA (in the case of tenant-voucher housing).

2.  How do I become a Section 8 Landlord?

We are always seeking new landlords to participate in the program.  Before a Lumberton Housing client is allowed to move into a unit, the landlord must have attended a landlord briefing and provided required ownership documentation:

1.  Proof of ownership in the form of a Deed of Trust

2.  State or Federal issued Photo ID

3.  IRS form W-9

4.  Affidavit of Ownership

Other documentation may be required if an owner chooses to use an agent or property manager, or if an owner purchases a property that is already occupied and under a Housing Payments Contract.  Tarrant County Housing Assistance Office will advise owners of all documentation required.

Landlord briefings are typically held the first Monday of every month.  All briefings are held at 9 a.m. at the Lumberton Housing Authority Conference Room, located at 407 N. Sycamore St., Lumberton, NC 28358.  To reserve your spot at the next briefing, contact our office at 910-671-8234 or e-mail your reservation to

2.   How does the owner select the family?   Families who are searching for housing will contact owners to apply. Families must follow the owner's standard application process. It is the owners responsibility to screen Section 8 tenants and follow the same practices and procedures as they do with all others. Owners should be familiar with federal, state and local fair housing laws to ensure against discriminatory practices.
3.   How long can I rent to a Section 8 family?   After the first year, your lease can be renewed, provided the family wishes to stay, and provided they remain on the program and are in compliance with their family obligations.
4.  Am I required to rent to people with disabilities? The same rules apply to renting to persons with disabilities on the Section 8 program as they do to all other renters with disabilities. The Fair Housing Act provides that it is unlawful to discriminate in any aspect of selling or renting housing, to deny a dwelling to a buyer or renter because of the disability of that individual or an individual associated with the buyer or renter. The Fair Housing Act requires owners of housing facilities to make reasonable exceptions in their policies and operations to afford people with disabilities equal housing opportunities. For example, a landlord with a "no pets" policy may be required to grant an exception to this ruling and allow an individual who is blind to keep a guide dog in the residence. The Fair Housing Act also requires landlords to allow tenants with disabilities to make reasonable access-related modifications to their private living space, as well as to common use spaces. (The landlord is not required to pay for the changes). The Act further requires that new multifamily housing with four or more units be designed and built to allow access for persons with disabilities. This includes accessible common use areas, doors that are wide enough for wheelchairs, kitchens and bathrooms that allow a person using a wheelchair to maneuver, and other adaptable feats within the units.
5.  If a tenant moves out and leaves damages, who is responsible? The tenant is responsible per the terms of the lease.
6.  Does Lumberton Housing Authority assist with the eviction process? No. The lease is a contract between the tenant and the landlord.
7.  How can I terminate the lease and evict the tenant? Owners have the same rights for evicting assisted families as they do for private market tenants. This information should be spelled out in the lease and carried out in accordance with state law. Evictions are carried out by court action. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney. Landlords are required to provide a copy of the eviction notice to Lumberton Housing Authority at the same time it is served upon the tenant.